Just do it! A postscript

I went to my home church today.
The Salvation Army world can be a very small one at times,
And oddly my son's girlfriend Megan, and her family
attend the church Chris and I left in 1991
to train for full-time ministry
within The Salvation Army.

Soooo
Today we went to witness Megan
committing her life to God as a member of The Salvation Army.

I sat in the congregation and looked around me.
There were so many there who had impacted my life:

The man who taught me to play trombone
The woman who had invested a lot of time in me as a teenager,
then as a young married woman.
There were the couple who had made us part of their family life.
We looked after their three boys,
Never thinking that one day we'd have three boys of our own.

There were people who had encouraged me,
Laughed with me,
Hugged me,
Prayed with me,
Cried with me.

Then there were my peers,
and those who I'd taught in Sunday School.
Youth that had spent time at our house
Laughing,
Crying,
Praying,
and just hanging out together.

They now have their place in the church.
They are the ones who teach the Sunday School,
Who lead the youth,
Who run the toddler groups,
And are part of the life and community of the church.

And so it continues...

And we never know...

What our time,
Our smile,
Our prayers,
Our encouragement,
will mean to others.

Megan shone today.
She glows God in a way that was beautiful to see.
Her vibrant faith was evident in every word she spoke,
In front of her family,
Her friends,
Her peers.

She said that we would never know what we'd done
to help her in her journey of faith,
that in many ways is just beginning.

So let's do it.

Let's chat,
And laugh,
And cry,
And encourage,
And pray for each other.

God has a way of using it all for good.

Comments

Unknown said…
This is beautiful - the entwining of people into our lives is amazing when we take the time to reflect on it. Thanks for sharing!

Popular posts from this blog

20 years of ministry

Five Minute Friday: Song

Five Minute Friday: Friend