Broken Nativity

Today I opened one of our Nativity Sets to discover that Joseph had lost his head.
One of our other sets has a king with a repaired head.
Our eldest son was a bit over-enthusiastic about helping me put it out when he was two....

When I mentioned my headless Joseph on facebook this afternoon,
I discovered friends had a headless shepherd, and an earless donkey.
Oh and an armless Jesus.

Which brings me to a point that is very relevant to me at the moment.
We come to God as people who long to be made whole.
In our humanity we are broken.
But that's ok because God loves broken things.

Each individual involved in the Nativity was broken.
Some were more aware of it than others.
But God used them in their brokenness.

This Advent season may be different to past ones.
But God meets us in our brokenness.
He loves us back to healing and wholeness.
Grace is everything.

Check out the song 'Broken Hallelujah' by Mandisa
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=QuuJDs2X4GE

With my love and my sadness
I come before You Lord
My heart's in a thousand pieces
Maybe even more
Yet I trust in this moment
You're with me somehow
And You've always been faithful
So Lord even now

When all that I can sing
Is a broken hallelujah
When my only offering
Is shattered praise
Still a song of adoration
Will rise up from these ruins
I will worship You and give You thanks
Even when my only praise
Is a broken hallelujah

Oh Father, You have given
Much more than I deserve
And I have felt Your hand of blessing
On me at every turn
How could I doubt Your goodness
Your wisdom, Your grace
So Lord hear my heart
In this painful place

Allelujah
I lift my voice
Your Spirit moves
I raise my hands
I reach for You

Comments

Alia Joy said…
We have a nativity set that my three year old got hold of and all of the wise men are maimed in one way or another and the angel is completely out of the picture. Yes, we are all broken, aren't we? Thankful for a savior who mends and puts back together and fills the cracks. Thanks for sharing on twitter with me.

Popular posts from this blog

20 years of ministry

Five Minute Friday: Song

Five Minute Friday: Friend