Christmas cake

I made my Christmas cake this morning.
Well actually, the mixture is ready to go in the oven.
No greaseproof paper to line the tin....schoolgirl error!

I love this time of year.
I love Advent, I think even more than Christmas itself.
I love the anticipation...
the wonder...
the excitement...

In a way it's a relief for us as a family to have something normal happening in our lives for a change.
The loss of Chris's parents, my Grandad, and my Dad this year has left us reeling.
Nothing is as it usually is,
So the normality of Advent is very welcome.

Anyway, back to the Christmas cake.


                                                                My kitchen this morning
Photo
                                                          I'm not the most ordered cook!


It's an ancient Marguerite Patten recipe I use.
I've tried others but keep coming back to this one.
I had everything ready and prepared.
The fruit, the nuts, the cherries, the brandy.
I was merrily mixing it all together in my very old,
very large, mixing bowl, that is only used for this purpose.
But I could see something wasn't quite right.

And then I remembered.....I'd forgotten the flour!
The lovely ingredients needed the flour to bind them together.
It's not rocket science, but domestic science.

Advent is often full to the brim.
Busy with the whirl of everything we call 'Christmas'.

Jesus is the one who holds it, and us, all together.
He is the one.
The one who 'shall be called Emmanuel, God with us' (Matthew 1:23)
The one who offers rest
And peace
And hope
And life

Long after Christmas is past
And the Christmas cake is eaten.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 years of ministry

Five Minute Friday: Song

Five Minute Friday: Friend